Saturday, November 17, 2012

Story as healer

I am always fascinated by our need to tell stories, whether it's " real" (what happened at the bank, or what we did at work, or what's on the news), or something we "make up" (filmmaking, fiction writing, music making, art).

As a teacher, like many others, I give instruction using a technical method that works to enhance the understanding and use of the voice until it can be fully actualized.  The thing that sets me apart from those others (and them from me) is my "story".  It resonates with the shy, budding singer, and affects the manner in which I teach, because my "how" involves sharing my history and experience. I tell my students my stories, they tell me theirs, and we connect and progress together.

In fact, it was when I began to teach and hear the stories of my students I realized I was not alone in how I felt or perceived the world, and that made a world of difference to me as a human being.  I was able to better appreciate the experience of other human beings and focus less on myself in the presence of others, which lead me to feel less shy.  I evolved. ~

No comments:

Post a Comment